Garden Cadet's Blog

Monday, February 27, 2006

Introduction

Hello

This is my first posting in my new blog. I have never done a 'blog' before so this is a new experience for me.

I am a keen gardener an in this blog i hope to share some of my gardening experiences through the seasons, hopefully with some photos too. At present though weather conditions are too cold to do any gardening so the log proper will not start until conditions improve. In the meantime I will offer some background and some thoughts on future plans.

Firstly some info on my garden. It is approximately 100 feet long and slopes uphill away from the house. The soil is chalk based but with some clay thanks to clay subsoil. The garden faces south east and is dominated by 9 very large pine trees at the top which cast some shade and create amini woodland area at the top of the garden.

The garden is divided into areas or 'rooms' with a flat patio area by the house, then moving up through a lawned area with traditional borders, a mediterranean terrace, large fruit and veg area incorporating a small greenhouse and finaly the woodland area under the trees and a utility area for compost bins etc. Recently a new 'wet' garden incorporating a bog garden and pond (still under construction as i write this) has been added between the patio and the main lawn area.

Now for a little history.

The house and garden are around 40 years old and owned for 20 of those years by my grandparents. When we inherited the property in 1996 we decided to move here and after some renovation work to the house moved in in May 1997. The garden itself was another matter. After around 10 years of neglect it was decidedly overgrown and in need of a 'masterplan'. Rather than be daunted i saw this as a challenge. After an inital clearance phase which included many trips to the local tip, I set about turing it into a pleasant place to be in. This is a process that is still going on.

I am now well into what i call the 'third phase', the 'design' phase of the garden's development. As my knowledge has grown I have sought to make the garden more than just 'neat and tidy' and am trying to bring a more unified, designed look to the space. As they say a garden is never 'finished'. There are always bits that could be improved and made nicer.

Finaly a few words on my gardening style. I suppose i am quite tradtional. I like plants and have a very 'planty' garden. That said am not adverse to new ideas and like to experiment from time to time to see if there is a better way of doing something. In time i may share some of these in this blog.

Well thats it for now, i think i have said more than enough for one posting! Hopefully next time i may have some gardening to talk about, but if not maybe I'll tell you a bit more about myself or maybe something about future plans in the garden. Who knows?

Bye for now!